What Are The Symptoms of Sleep Apnea?
Sleep Apnea Symptoms in Adults
Common signs of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) in adults include:
- Unexplained daytime sleepiness.
- Restless sleep.
- Loud snoring (with periods of silence followed by gasps).
Additional symptoms of sleep apnea in adults include:
- Morning headaches.
- Trouble concentrating.
- Mood changes, such as irritability, anxiety and depression.
- Increased heart rate and/or blood pressure.
- Decreased sex drive.
- Unexplained weight gain.
- Nighttime urination.
- Frequent heartburn and sweats.
Adults have been found to be at higher risk if they are:
- Of an increasing age.
- Have anatomic abnormalities of the upper airway.
- Have a family history of sleep apnea.
- Use alcohol or sedatives frequently.
- Are a smoker.
- Experience hypertension.
Are you or an adult loved one potentially suffering from the symptoms of Sleep Apnea? Take our Sleep Apnea Test today!
Sleep Apnea Symptoms in Children
Sleep disorders in children are conditions that prevent them from getting the oxygen needed while they sleep, creating a form of suffocation. Obstructive sleep apnea in children is being increasingly recognized as a cause of attention and behavior problems as well as learning and developmental problems.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea in children include:
- Mouth breathing.
- Restlessness during sleep.
- Sleeping in odd positions and neck hyperextensions.
- Periods of not breathing.
- Teeth grinding.
- Night terrors.
- Mood changes.
- Poor concentration.
- Bed wetting.
- Frequent infections.
- Children with undiagnosed OSA are frequently misdiagnosed as having ADHD and placed on unnecessary medications.
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is a medical condition that is diagnosed by a medical doctor, but can be treated by a dentist with special understanding and training on this life threatening breathing disorder. At present, the primary method for diagnosing OSA is to have the patient undergo a sleep study, known as Polysomnography (PSG) or Home Sleep Test (HST). We are happy to assist our patients in coordination of any necessary sleep testing.
TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre of Montana provides dental sleep medicine. Dental sleep medicine is the management of medically diagnosed sleep-related breathing disorders, such as sleep apnea, using oral appliance therapy for adults and orthopedic orthodontics for airway development or correction for children. Dr. VanDyke of TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre of Montana is specifically trained and experienced in dental sleep medicine.